Camp Sumataunga Training Race WIN

February 20, 2012 at 12:31 am 4 comments

Video of a very tired me crossing the line after more than 40 miles on a solo break (Video taken by Russell Fulmer’s wife – thank you!)

What a great way to start off the racing season – with our team taking 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th. I won on a long solo break after my initial break companion, Joe from Florence, came off the pace on the hill before the transition back to smooth pavement. We already had a somewhat sizable gap so I couldn’t just sit up and wait – instead I really didn’t have any choice but to put my head down and ride as hard as I could for the next 2 hours. My teammate Justin Bynum put in a late move and got away with and then outsprinted a Velocity rider for 2nd. My teammates Pat and Chris Allison took the top two spots in the field sprint for 4th and 5th. What a great start to the season!

Here are my iBike stats from the race -

---------Selection Stats---------
Dist:       48.51 mi (2:05:38)
Energy:    2338.3 kJ
Cals Burn: 2235.5 kcal
Climbing:    1708 ft
Braking:     -2.9 kJ (-0.1%)
          Min   Avg    Max
Caden       0   75.5   107  rpm
HR         99  165.4   185  bpm
NP:332W IF:1.11 TSS:257 VI:1.07
CdA: 0.342 m^2; Crr: 0.0055
168 lbs (includes bike, clothes, equipment); 2/19/2012 2:32 PM
45 degF; 1015 mbar

Here is my Powertap data (yes I had both my iBike and my powertap for this race) including the new personal power records for the entire range from 20 minutes to 2 hours!

New power record from 20 minutes to just over 2 hours (click to enlarge)

Interesting “Y” shape on my pedal force / pedal velocity graph. I’m used to the spike in the middle, but not the strong underlying portion – I guess the darker CP curve section is b/c of the steadiness of the flats/downhills and the vertical portion is attacking the hills

Power map – annotated with the really intriguing wind directions caused by the channeling effect of the ridges

I arrived really early so I could do some of my favorite climbs in the area, including the 231 climb which is just awesome after/during rain b/c there are waterfalls pouring off of every cliff … the panorama below doesn’t even include the ones you can see as you are climbing – I hiked off the road to a kudzu cliff (that’s the way kudzu looks in the winter) to get the picture of this large waterfall.

Panorama including waterfalls with Chandler Mountain just barely visible in the far upper right of the picture

Looking towards Chandler Mountain

Finally, here is a topocreator map of the entire race plus my warm-up climbs up 231/Blount Mountain and the always steep Chandler Mountain climb.

Topocreator map – such intriguing topography … the standalone nature of Chandler Mountain plus the “hidden climb” from northwest to southeast from atop the Blount Mountain ridge line

Entry filed under: Racing. Tags: , , .

Skyway Epic plus Alabama’s Newest Cat 2 climb More racing, riding, and climbing

4 Comments Add your own

• 1. WSJ  |  February 20, 2012 at 7:37 am

Brian – congrats great job. Impressive numbers too. Out of curiosity, how did your PowerTap power avg compare to your iBike avg? Keep it up!

Warren

• 2. kartoone  |  February 20, 2012 at 9:07 am

The iBike was reading a bit high yesterday (especially with the race wheels on so it was overestimating aerodynamic drag). My iBike average was 310 watts (332 normalized), but the powertap average for the race was only 272 watts (285 normalized).

• 3. Chad Williamson  |  February 20, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Does iBike tend to overestimate in windy conditions?

• 4. kartoone  |  February 20, 2012 at 4:36 pm

It could go either way depending on how accurate the aerodynamic drag coefficient is. If the drag coefficient is too small then it will under-report in windy conditions. Basically, the error is being magnified. You can use a powertap to dial in the drag coefficient pretty accurately. I have the iBike configured for when I am biking to work with non-racing wheels and with my backpack on. So yesterday with my race wheels and no backpack, it was over-reporting power.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

See your ad here!

Contact me to see your ad here!
kartoone76@gmail.com

instagram kartoone76

I left the house just under 30 hours ago and ridden 311 miles with well over 32,000 feet of climbing (the ibike under reports gain even more than the 1000). Easiest climb to get home. Plus my dead Garmin 800 still crashes every time I try to boot it up, presumably trying to load the in-progress #everesting 237 miles and 28,000 feet in. Thankfully I was using my Garmin 1000 to silence all the doubters who question the accuracy of my 800 and somehow trust the 1000 data because it's lower and that somehow makes it more accurate. Does anyone know how I can retrieve the file? Summit #everesting #fizik #stravaproveit just before the manatees.

Kristine’s ToonesFanClub